Georgia to Maine - - Please join me from start (4/1) to finish (8/10) - 132 days!!!!!

Bethlehem, NH
I have completed my thru-hike of the AT from Georgia to Maine; I started 4/1 and completed 8/10/10. I decided to do this thru-hike in memory of my brother Michael and in turn decided to turn it into a fundraiser. All money raised went to the Adaptive Sports Partners of the North Country which gives year-round opportunities in sports and recreation to people with physical or developmental disabilities. My wife Pam and I got involved with this program because it allows us to help people with disabilities enjoy the outdoors like we do and my brother Michael did. Michael was born mentally challenged, and he loved to visit us in the North Country of NH and go hiking. He also loved the outdoors and did many other sports. So, to help others do this and other outdoor activities is a TRIBUTE to him, and an HONOR to us. Many of you have helped me along my journey and donated (follow donation link) directly to a secure website. All donations have gone and WILL CONTINUE to go to ASPNC – nonprofit org to help assist others to hike, ski, kayak, snow shoe..etc… Thank you all in advance for your kindness & generosity, Dave & Pam Smith

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Back to school!!!


Hi All,
  What a great day!!! First thing this morning I went to Littleton High School.  I got to meet with two different groups of students to talk about my upcoming thru-hike. The students were really well prepared and showed a real interest in the AT and in following my hike. They asked some really good questions about the trail, my preparations and about my feelings regarding being on the trail for a long period of time.  They plan on following me on my trip(through my blog), sending me some encouraging letters in my mail drops, and some even want to arrange to meet up with me on the trail when I get up north in August and do some hiking with me.  So to Ms. Carbonneau and all the students I met today, THANK YOU for inviting me into your classroom to talk with you.  You made my day. Sorry to the first group this morning, class ended so fast I forgot to get a picture with you (next time).
 
Talk soon,

Dave

ps: One of the students asked what I was going to miss the most, I said a warm bed.  When I got home today Pam and I jumped on the bike and went for a ride down Rt 116 thru Franconia and Easton. THATS what I'm going to miss the most.
My wife and my bike.

3 comments:

  1. When you said that you were going to miss a warm bed at night, i wanted to ask if you were going to miss your wife more?But, that's wonderful that your going to miss your wife, and your motorcycle. But atleast your gunna beable to see your wife,and wrie her sweetletters♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Littleton Freshman- Class of 201326/3/10

    Dave,
    Our freshman class greatly appreciates you coming to verse us in your knowledge of the AT. We were very interested and thankful of your answers and preperation. We wish you great luck and encouragement on your adventure! Thankyou again for coming!
    ~Class of 2013 at LHS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous19/6/10

    hello testing

    ReplyDelete