Georgia to Maine - - Please join me from start (4/1) to finish (8/10) - 132 days!!!!!

Bethlehem, NH
I have completed my thru-hike of the AT from Georgia to Maine; I started 4/1 and completed 8/10/10. I decided to do this thru-hike in memory of my brother Michael and in turn decided to turn it into a fundraiser. All money raised went to the Adaptive Sports Partners of the North Country which gives year-round opportunities in sports and recreation to people with physical or developmental disabilities. My wife Pam and I got involved with this program because it allows us to help people with disabilities enjoy the outdoors like we do and my brother Michael did. Michael was born mentally challenged, and he loved to visit us in the North Country of NH and go hiking. He also loved the outdoors and did many other sports. So, to help others do this and other outdoor activities is a TRIBUTE to him, and an HONOR to us. Many of you have helped me along my journey and donated (follow donation link) directly to a secure website. All donations have gone and WILL CONTINUE to go to ASPNC – nonprofit org to help assist others to hike, ski, kayak, snow shoe..etc… Thank you all in advance for your kindness & generosity, Dave & Pam Smith

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Monday 4/26

PTD started out the day somewhat dry 1st thing in the morning. It was misting but not bad. PTD says the mist proceeded to get heavier and heavier and then started sideways and every which way all day long. The winds had picked up. 

Up and over Roan MT. Last time he will climb over 6,000 ft till he gets to Mt Washington. He said visibility was so bad he never did get to see the beautiful rhododendron gardens that supposedly cover the slopes. They wouldn't have been in full bloom but would have been cool to see. He proceeded past several balds to the top of Hump MT where he was to take a side trail to the Stan Murray Shelter for the night.

Well, he had his head down and his hat pulled to the side over his rain poncho so that the rain wouldn't get into his eyes and face and somehow missed the turn off to the shelter. Yikes! He kept trucking forward going up and down, and back and forth throughout the switchbacks and he came to a road crossing in the middle of know where. He had no choice but to keep walking now he was in another gap and no dry place in sight so he had to keep moving because now it is getting late and he is getting cold and hungry. Came to an empty shelter. It was empty due to the rain pouring into it from the top and from the front. It was a 3 sided shelter facing the WRONG WAY. Kept walking and finally came to Over the Mountain Shelter. It was overflowing w/wet hikers. Everyone moved over so that he could squeeze his wet body in out of the rain.

The shelter holds 20 people. Dave thinks there were at least 30 that night. He knew only 1 person there (Tomato). Needless to say after 22.1 miles he was extremely tired. He had no desire to cook so he settled for a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter, a snickers bar and some water. He then put on his dry long johns and crawled into his dry sleeping bag for the night by 7pm. He was not interested in playing cards or staying up chatting. He was cold and tired.

Throughout the night he could hear and feel the old shelter which is a 2 story rickety old barn creak and sway due to the 40 mile an hour winds. This shelter was used in the movie ”Winter People”.


  1. We wonder how far it was between Murray Shelter he planned to stay in and Over the Mountain Shelter. To do a 22 mile hike on such a miserable day was crazy! It must have been a great distance between the two shelters.

  2. Anonymous29/4/10

    Hi Jen,

    It was about an additional 2 miles.