Georgia to Maine - - Please join me from start (4/1) to finish (8/10) - 132 days!!!!!

Bethlehem, NH
I have completed my thru-hike of the AT from Georgia to Maine; I started 4/1 and completed 8/10/10. I decided to do this thru-hike in memory of my brother Michael and in turn decided to turn it into a fundraiser. All money raised went to the Adaptive Sports Partners of the North Country which gives year-round opportunities in sports and recreation to people with physical or developmental disabilities. My wife Pam and I got involved with this program because it allows us to help people with disabilities enjoy the outdoors like we do and my brother Michael did. Michael was born mentally challenged, and he loved to visit us in the North Country of NH and go hiking. He also loved the outdoors and did many other sports. So, to help others do this and other outdoor activities is a TRIBUTE to him, and an HONOR to us. Many of you have helped me along my journey and donated (follow donation link) directly to a secure website. All donations have gone and WILL CONTINUE to go to ASPNC – nonprofit org to help assist others to hike, ski, kayak, snow shoe..etc… Thank you all in advance for your kindness & generosity, Dave & Pam Smith

Monday, April 12, 2010

Thursday 4/8

Dave said it was very very wet. Thunder, lighting and cold. Could not see the views from Mnt Albert(5,250’) as he was hiking over it. He says his boots were soaked. He could have rung out his socks – one good thing he says - now they are washed along w/all my other clothes. Only thing dry was his sleeping bag. Mr Vix and Dave kept hiking because the shelters were full and they didn’t want to set up their tents tonight in the rain (they will have enough time on their journey to do that). They traveled from Standing Indian Shelter to a town called Franklin (approx 20 mile day) and hopped on the 1st shuttle they saw and went to town. They split the room cost and spent the night at the Sapphire Inn. Very nice people. THANK YOU RON HAYDEN (he is known to hikers, is very friendly to all and provides the free shuttles amongst other services). Once they got in the hotel room they hung up their clothes all around the room to dry. Looked like a yard sale. Dave put newspaper in his boots to help them dry faster. He got a nice hot shower, some food and early to bed after a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment