Georgia to Maine - - Please join me from start (4/1) to finish (8/10) - 132 days!!!!!

Bethlehem, NH
I have completed my thru-hike of the AT from Georgia to Maine; I started 4/1 and completed 8/10/10. I decided to do this thru-hike in memory of my brother Michael and in turn decided to turn it into a fundraiser. All money raised went to the Adaptive Sports Partners of the North Country which gives year-round opportunities in sports and recreation to people with physical or developmental disabilities. My wife Pam and I got involved with this program because it allows us to help people with disabilities enjoy the outdoors like we do and my brother Michael did. Michael was born mentally challenged, and he loved to visit us in the North Country of NH and go hiking. He also loved the outdoors and did many other sports. So, to help others do this and other outdoor activities is a TRIBUTE to him, and an HONOR to us. Many of you have helped me along my journey and donated (follow donation link) directly to a secure website. All donations have gone and WILL CONTINUE to go to ASPNC – nonprofit org to help assist others to hike, ski, kayak, snow shoe..etc… Thank you all in advance for your kindness & generosity, Dave & Pam Smith

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Saturday 7/3

We spotted our car at Lee/Becket town line and off we went. Hiking for a few days.

Right off the bat we met up w/Inferno, Fastlayne and their dad. They were going out to Dalton today and taking a 0 on the 4th. PTD haven't seen her since Duncannon, PA.

Of course, right out of town it was up for a bit. Climbed Becket Mnt., Walling Mnt, and Bald Top. We skirted around Finerty Pond. We thought we were going to be able to stick out feet in it. Nope. No trails leading to it. The brush was too thick to cut threw. Went crossed over several roads. We had lunch by the Washington Mountain brook, a small trickling river. We entered the October State Forest. Went and rested at the October mnt Lean to. Dave also got to see Rooster another Thru Hiker that he hadn't seen in awhile.  Didn't see much for animals. A frog, some chipmunks and a few snakes slithering in the tall grass. A few dead mice/voles too.

Much of the trails were overgrown. Knee high in some spots and eye high in others. We just kept checking for ticks. Guess some of these sections are maintained by someone very elderly that has not been out to keep it up, IN YEARS!

We stayed in the field at the "Cookie Ladies" house. It is a working blueberry farm w/hundreds of trees. Some over 100 years old. Her and her husband let hikers camp in their yard. Sometimes she will have fresh baked cookies for the hikers in the afternoon. When we got there, not a soul. They must be on vacation. We set up camp in the shady grassy area, far away from all the blueberry trees. Didn't want any bears stumbling into us in the night. We also hung our packs in the garage as the hikers note stated so, no animals would get them.

We lounged for a bit on the picnic table watching the hummingbirds and eating fresh quarter size blueberries we had just picked.($1.50 a pint - not a bad deal). She also sells fresh and hard boiled eggs. She has chickens. But w/no one home. No eggs. After a bit we decided to make dinner. Ponytail had freeze dried Chicken & Rice and I had Mac & Cheese. After dinner we cleaned up and brushed our teeth. We stayed out a bit longer, writing in our journals till we couldn't''t stand the bugs any longer. They were eating us alive.

What a great day together, can't wait for the next.

We hiked - 9.4 miles - warm day but not humid
October Mountain Lee To

Proud to be next to the blaze

Lunch by a small river

 Making dinner
Ponytail in one of the blueberry patches
Taj Mahal

No comments:

Post a Comment