Georgia to Maine - - Please join me from start (4/1) to finish (8/10) - 132 days!!!!!

Bethlehem, NH
I have completed my thru-hike of the AT from Georgia to Maine; I started 4/1 and completed 8/10/10. I decided to do this thru-hike in memory of my brother Michael and in turn decided to turn it into a fundraiser. All money raised went to the Adaptive Sports Partners of the North Country which gives year-round opportunities in sports and recreation to people with physical or developmental disabilities. My wife Pam and I got involved with this program because it allows us to help people with disabilities enjoy the outdoors like we do and my brother Michael did. Michael was born mentally challenged, and he loved to visit us in the North Country of NH and go hiking. He also loved the outdoors and did many other sports. So, to help others do this and other outdoor activities is a TRIBUTE to him, and an HONOR to us. Many of you have helped me along my journey and donated (follow donation link) directly to a secure website. All donations have gone and WILL CONTINUE to go to ASPNC – nonprofit org to help assist others to hike, ski, kayak, snow shoe..etc… Thank you all in advance for your kindness & generosity, Dave & Pam Smith

Monday, June 7, 2010

Friday 6/4 Pam & her mom to visit

Up and out of shelter early. Feet are sore, boots are wet back.  He wants to get to Harpers Ferry by night fall to meet me and my mom.

He stopped by the Bear Mt Shelter (beautiful stone shelter) this morning and got a Dr Pepper and a Mountain Dew. Met a man (Pipe Smoke - Thu-hiked a few years ago)doing trail maintenance for a week from NH. They got talking and come to find out he knows Clinton, Dave's old boss in southern NH. Never know who you will meet out on the trail.

He called to tell us he hit the VA/WV line around 11:30am. Then around 1:00 today PTD hit 1,000 mile mark. Whoohoo! 1,000 miles.

Again he was skirting some wild storms today. Says he hit one that felt like someone was just pouring a 5 gallon bucket of water over him continuously for about 15 minutes. That must have been the same storm that we hit in the car. Awful! We needed to pull over, the wind was blowing, all kinds of debris over the highway, rain was ponding on the road, all cars were going about 20 miles an hr. It was hot and humid, I think it was like 90. When the rain hit the pavement it was like dry ice. The smoke, the fog. Temperature dropped about 20 degrees. We kept thinking we hope PTD is SAFE and DRY.
Ponytail arrived in Harpers Ferry around 4pm. He hung out at the 711 and "The Pub" till we arrived. Due to the storm it delayed us and we didn't get there till almost 6pm.

We were all so excited to see each other.   It has been a month since last time I saw PTD.

We headed right for the hotel. Wanted to get checked in and showered so we could go out to eat. We all really needed to eat dinner. Long day for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment