Georgia to Maine - - Please join me from start (4/1) to finish (8/10) - 132 days!!!!!

Bethlehem, NH
I have completed my thru-hike of the AT from Georgia to Maine; I started 4/1 and completed 8/10/10. I decided to do this thru-hike in memory of my brother Michael and in turn decided to turn it into a fundraiser. All money raised went to the Adaptive Sports Partners of the North Country which gives year-round opportunities in sports and recreation to people with physical or developmental disabilities. My wife Pam and I got involved with this program because it allows us to help people with disabilities enjoy the outdoors like we do and my brother Michael did. Michael was born mentally challenged, and he loved to visit us in the North Country of NH and go hiking. He also loved the outdoors and did many other sports. So, to help others do this and other outdoor activities is a TRIBUTE to him, and an HONOR to us. Many of you have helped me along my journey and donated (follow donation link) directly to a secure website. All donations have gone and WILL CONTINUE to go to ASPNC – nonprofit org to help assist others to hike, ski, kayak, snow shoe..etc… Thank you all in advance for your kindness & generosity, Dave & Pam Smith

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Friday - 5/14

Ponytail did stay at the Rice Field Shelter on Thursday. He got to the Shelter and took a nap yesterday afternoon. When he woke other hikers were napping too. Just a hot muggy day. They offered to go get him some water for his dinner and what not so that he could rest some more. The water source at this shelter is down a steep about .03 miles away. That was very kind of them. to offer.

PTD said it was very foggy in the middle of the night like pea soup (he could see some eyes in the distance) as he got up in the middle of the night. When he woke another time and it had cleared and he could see stars.

Nice clear Friday morning. He could see views into West Virginia.

He is feeling better. Guess the morning and nights are the worse. During the day he does feel better so he can hike. He does say everyday he is getting stronger and feeling better. He is drinking plenty of fluids (some w/electrolytes) and he does have his appetite back.

Today he came across his 1st Rattlesnake on the trail. It was huge! It was as fat as a water bottle is round and about 3 feet long. It was stretched out in the middle of the trail. He says he almost stepped on it.

He will stay at the Pine Swamp Branch Shelter tonight. It is an old stone shelter that sleeps 8.  He has met up again w/the Flying Scottsmen and High Tower.  He met another hiker today called Gray.  Gray set up his tent instead of staying in the shelter.  He did come visit the shelter very quickly once all the rain and hail started.  When it slowed a bit Gray went back out to his tent.  The others all stayed put in the shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment