Georgia to Maine - - Please join me from start (4/1) to finish (8/10) - 132 days!!!!!

Bethlehem, NH
I have completed my thru-hike of the AT from Georgia to Maine; I started 4/1 and completed 8/10/10. I decided to do this thru-hike in memory of my brother Michael and in turn decided to turn it into a fundraiser. All money raised went to the Adaptive Sports Partners of the North Country which gives year-round opportunities in sports and recreation to people with physical or developmental disabilities. My wife Pam and I got involved with this program because it allows us to help people with disabilities enjoy the outdoors like we do and my brother Michael did. Michael was born mentally challenged, and he loved to visit us in the North Country of NH and go hiking. He also loved the outdoors and did many other sports. So, to help others do this and other outdoor activities is a TRIBUTE to him, and an HONOR to us. Many of you have helped me along my journey and donated (follow donation link) directly to a secure website. All donations have gone and WILL CONTINUE to go to ASPNC – nonprofit org to help assist others to hike, ski, kayak, snow shoe..etc… Thank you all in advance for your kindness & generosity, Dave & Pam Smith

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Thursday 4/29

Beautiful sunny morning. Going to be 70. Perfect hiking day.

He came across 3 thru-hikers and hiked a bit and then all stopped for lunch together on the shores of Watauga Lake. After he had lunch he moved on as they decided to rest a bit longer.

He then came across some other hikers that were basking on the beach on the other side of the lake. Resting, drinking beer and eating Oreo cookies. (strange combination) He stopped for a bit to chat. He ate Oreos but passed on the beer since it was only 1:30 in the afternoon and he wanted to get more miles in so he could hit Damascus, Va this weekend.

Lots of steep ups and downs today.

Tonight he is sleeping out in the wilderness alone somewhere near Turkey pen Gap. Says he isn't scared. I would be. He says he hadn't seen anyone in quite awhile. The next shelter was a ways away and he was tired and didn't feel like traveling. So, he decide to make camp. Set up his tent, went and fetched water, cooked dinner, did dishes, hung up his food bag(so the bears couldn't get at it - he must to this nightly).

He said again today there were some really touch ups and downs but he still managed to do 23 miles. WOW! He loves the challenge. Wonder how he will do later in the northern VA where it is flatter. Seems his feet and legs like the climbs.

He called again right before crawling into his tent to tell me about the beautiful sunset. He said amazing, took some pics and then we said goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment