Georgia to Maine - - Please join me from start (4/1) to finish (8/10) - 132 days!!!!!

Bethlehem, NH
I have completed my thru-hike of the AT from Georgia to Maine; I started 4/1 and completed 8/10/10. I decided to do this thru-hike in memory of my brother Michael and in turn decided to turn it into a fundraiser. All money raised went to the Adaptive Sports Partners of the North Country which gives year-round opportunities in sports and recreation to people with physical or developmental disabilities. My wife Pam and I got involved with this program because it allows us to help people with disabilities enjoy the outdoors like we do and my brother Michael did. Michael was born mentally challenged, and he loved to visit us in the North Country of NH and go hiking. He also loved the outdoors and did many other sports. So, to help others do this and other outdoor activities is a TRIBUTE to him, and an HONOR to us. Many of you have helped me along my journey and donated (follow donation link) directly to a secure website. All donations have gone and WILL CONTINUE to go to ASPNC – nonprofit org to help assist others to hike, ski, kayak, snow shoe..etc… Thank you all in advance for your kindness & generosity, Dave & Pam Smith

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Wednesday 5/5

Happy Cinco De Mayo - Ponytail will only dream about Coronas today.

Time to say goodbye. Too short but a wonderful visit. We packed up our things and headed out. I needed to go drop Ponytail off at Rte 600 on Whitetop so he could start back w/his adventure where he left off the other day before we met.  Before we got too far we had to stop and wait for the roaming cows in the road to move as we headed down off of Mountain Music Rd. Again beautiful mountain/farm country here in Elk Creek. Aunt Peet's is the place to stay to feel at home and relax. Thank you Linda and Orpha for your wonderful hospitality.
We arrived at his starting point about an hrs drive from the house. Reminded me of the Kancamangus Highway the way all the roads were crocked, steep and narrow. One minute it is 55 and then it is 15 on a hairpin turn. You must pay close attention or you will go off the road.

There was a ranger at the starting point on Whitetop. He was able to take our last picture together. He did mention to Ponytail that they were doing some blasting near the trails so to be careful and to adhere to the signs and try not to jump too much when they go off. Boy are they loud!
He waved as he walked away into the country side. Back on his journey of walking towards home. Meantime I was off 4 1/2hrs to the airport to come home. Long day for both of us.

He said he did encounter several blast points. One he needed to sit and wait 1/2hr for them to get everything in order and detonate.

Today he did run into a gentlemen from Hopkington, NH called Lone Wolf who was also walking the AT. Really cool how many people from New England he is meeting out there.

He will stay at the Old Orchard Shelter tonight just outside of the Grayson Highlands.

PONYTAIL HAS REACHED THE 500 MILE mark at 5:50 on 5/5 on top of Pine Mountain which is 5,000 ft. That is really cool. I am playing the lottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment